Advertisement

How to introduce your dog to a baby

Introducing your dog to your baby, the newest addition to your family can be a rather worrying experience. This is particularly the case when you have concerns about your control over your dog and also if you have doubts as to your dog's temperament. It is however a necessary objective. It is extremely unlikely that you will succeed in keeping your dog and baby away from each other. I have two young sons, one is a four year old and the other is two years old. At the time of both of my boys' birth we had two dogs, a German Shepherd and a Collie-Ridgeback cross. 

Even though I had excellent control over the dogs I was apprehensive when introducing them. After all small babies are very vulnerable and a dog is able to inflict serious damage, even fatal damage, in the twinkling of an eye. Fortunately, most dogs do recognise the young of other species. A dog should not see a baby as a threat. He should realise that a baby is helpless and vulnerable. This will be even more evident to the dog if the baby is on the floor when your dog and baby first meet. So, normally absolutely nothing unpleasant should happen, but please don't underestimate the potential for a serious problem. Please proceed with caution. If you are unsure then consult your local dog behavioural expert. Bearing the above comments in mind, the following is how I would and did proceed when I introduced my dogs to my kids. First, I lay a clean large towel in the middle of the lounge carpet. I placed my child on the towel. I then brought my German Shepherd in. I had him on a lead. I did not however jerk the lead or subject my dog to any other negative stimulus. I did not want Duke to associate my baby with any negative influences. The lead was only on Duke so that I had him under controlled conditions. Duke naturally went over to Dean. 

All I did was to make sure that he didn't sniff or lick around Dean's mouth. When he attempted to do so, I did not yank the lead, but rather diverted Duke's mouth from Dean's face with my hand. After I had introduced Duke to Dean, I took Duke outside, played with him for a while and took him for a walk. I repeated this process a few times until I felt confident that Duke had accepted Dean completely. In fact they became great friends, I was very confident that Duke would never hurt Dean. If Dean worried Duke too much as babies will do, Duke simply walked away. I'm sure that Duke had accepted Dean as an infant member of the family and I was confident in that knowledge. I used the same approach when introducing Cindy my cross breed to baby Dean, and used the same approach when my other son, Mark, was born. I was always quite confident that my children were never in any danger at any time during the introduction process. 

If I had been less confident of the temperament of my dogs, I would have had a muzzle in place during the introductory phase. Please understand that these precautions are probably overkill as it is unlikely that dogs when being introduced to babies would consider them a threat, and are therefore not prone to hurt them. However when dogs and young children are concerned you can never be too cautious.
Advertisement

 

Popular Posts

Advertisement

Tags